Skip to main content

Bernbach on Journalism


                                                                                                                        July 21, 2012  
Dear _________:


Professional training in Journalism is getting Big. That’s something to be happy about. But it’s something to worry about, too, and I don’t mind telling you I’m damned worried. I’m worried that we’re going to fall into the trap of bigness, that we’re going to worship structures instead of substance, that we’re going to dwell in history instead of making it, that we’re going to be drowned by responsibilities instead of buoyed up by recognition. I’m worried lest hardening of creative experimentations begin to set in.

There are a lot of great structure-abiding writers in journalism. And unfortunately they talk the best game. They know all the RULES. They can tell you that greater readership will give you more advertisements. They can tell you that a sentence should be this short or that long. They can tell you that story should be broken up for easier reading. They can give you fact after fact after FACT. They are the scientists of journalism. But there’s one little rub. Journalism is fundamentally about good writing and writing happens to be not a science, but an ART.     

It’s that creative spark that I’m so jealous of for our coursework and that I’m so desperately fearful of losing. I don’t want Academicians. I don’t want Scientists. I don’t want people who do the Right things. I don’t want people who do Inspiring things.

Look beneath structure and what do you find? A sameness, a mental weariness, a mediocrity of ideas and substance. But they could defend every article on the basis that it obeyed the rules of journalism. It is like worshipping a ritual instead of the God.

All this is not to say that structure is unimportant. Superior structural writing will make a good journalist better. But the danger is a preoccupation with structure or the mistaking of report structure for creative reportage.

The danger lies in the temptation to create routinized journalists who have a FORMULA for writing. The danger lies in the natural tendency to go after the Tried-and-Tested route to success, that will not make us stand out in competition but rather make us look like all the others.

If we, as journalists, are to advance we must emerge as a distinctive personality. We must develop our own philosophy (like the founding fathers of journalism) and not have the journalistic philosophy of others imposed on us.

Let us blaze new trails. Let us prove to the world that good ideas, good style and good writing can be good journalism.

Respectfully,
Bill Burn Back!
(PS: This is a Creative Variation of what was written originally by Bill Bernbach in the context of Advertising.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make Me A Man (for a week)

Make me a man for a week , Let me feel what Freedom feels. Let me have guilt-free rough hands and hairy legs, Let my grooming tools be scissors and blades. Make me a man for a week, For there is only one life and here I am - a woman.  Not ever knowing what dominance feels like, Nor having a natural right to call the shots.  And if it can't be done on this earth, Then make a man in Heaven. And bestow upon me wisdom, Like you did on the first man Adam.  Don't get me wrong, I'm all for women.  But haven't we seen and been through so much agony! If only I got to be a man for a change, I'd know how carefree life can be!

Exercise!

Photo Credit: Flickr Think of the word exercise for a moment. What other words would you associate with it? Sweat, gym, workout, burnout, and what not. Do you notice how, by and large, we associate a negative sentiment to it? Why don’t we most of us associate more positive words such as flexibility, strength, rejuvenation, me-time, etc. to exercising? Culturally, we have had very limited exposure and encouragement to exercise and even play sports. These are considered as “extra-curricular” and therefore, by consequence, less important and optional activities. Earlier, I too had a negative and dispassionate approach towards exercising. It was my health-conscious sister, who initiated me to the gym, then to yoga and other forms of exercises. Prior to this, my mom had initiated both her daughters to swimming, which is a great full-body workout, apart from being a fun-filled leisure activity. These were my early experiences with exercising, and frankly, they weren’t even ...

Blogs- an alternative media

Can blogs become an alternative media? I say yes. Blogging has opened up a new platform for people of all ages to voice their opinions, be it radical or neutral. It provides the writer with a large audience who can be critical at many times and point out flaws of any nature in the write-up. Writers benefit the most through blogs, especially the public blogs. In many instances, a person is forced to appreciate the articles and overlook its loopholes due to personal and professional limitations. But when it comes to blogging, it introduces one to many varied points of view. It helps all the readers to obtain a panoramic view of the situation in question. This influences perceptions and beliefs. With the introduction of blogs, people from non-media professions have started to take active interest in the current affairs and have begun to pen down their views. Their participation does not end here. These opinions are then made open for public support and criticism through blogs. At times, b...