Skip to main content

School Hunting - Finding A Good CBSE School In Mumbai

It's that time of my life, when the tables have turned for me. A few years ago my parents would be hunting for good colleges and speaking to the Principals to assess if the institute was a good fit. Now, with my little one getting ready for formal schooling, it's my turn to hop around town looking for a good and reputed school for my son to study in!

While Mumbai is flooded with schools, a vast majority of them offer the state education curriculum i.e. Secondary School Certificate. This board of education is governed by the state of Maharashtra and is also the board from which I completed my own schooling. 

Since my graduation from school, many rules have changed in the SSC board and the curriculum too always had a reputation of being 'easier' compared to the other two prominent education boards - ICSE and CBSE. 


ICSE schools were by far the most popular schools in Mumbai. However, they were also slightly premium and intellectual for the ordinary student. CBSE schools, which are the most popular schools across the country, surprisingly are a new feature in Mumbai. 

With the commercialization of education, many new boards have sprung up like International Board (IB) and IGCSE (Cambridge Assessment). These schools are undoubtedly far ahead in their pedagogy, infrastructure and curriculum, but this excellence comes at a heavy price, which not every working parent can afford. 

Hence, my choice was between an ICSE and CBSE school. After visiting one of each type of schools, I decided that my preference would be CBSE board. I also consulted with family and friends, who all confirmed that the CBSE curriculum is designed for success in Indian competitive examinations, preparation for Govt. jobs and for sharpening one's mathematical and analytical skills. They also emphasize on the importance of co-curricular activities like sports, arts & music. 

I soon realized that based on the recommendations of the CBSE board, all affiliated schools provided certain minimum infrastructure such as laboratories, access to sports activities and other co-curricular activities. The teacher to student ratio could not exceed 1:30.  

I was fairly happy with the facilities provided by CBSE schools; they were not super fancy and exorbitant and neither were they too archaic. My challenge, however, was that applying to one school would not be sufficient, considering the number of students entering the school life each year in places like Mumbai. 

Hence, I went about trying to find more CBSE affiliated schools, particularly in the Western suburb areas of Mumbai i.e. Andheri, Oshiwara, Lokhandwala, Jogeshwari and Goregaon. 

In my area of residence too, parents seem to prefer either SSC schools or ICSE schools. CBSE board is still not one of the top priorities of parents, even though the fees are fairly affordable and the curriculum is not very intense. 

So resorting to the option of extensively researching on the Internet, I was able to find the below schools which are affiliated to CBSe board - 


1. Ashok Academy 

Pros - Principal is very good. 

Cons - School premise is small. 

2. Raigad Military School

Pros - Large playground, classrooms and labs. 

Cons - Not very well known. Difficult to find reviews of the school online.

3. MVM International School

Pros - Large campus and well equipped classrooms. Large playground. 

Cons - Offers both CBSE and SSC boards during different time slots. 

4. Shri Harshad C Valia International School

Pros - Offers Karate and Basketball as part of the curriculum.

Cons - Offers both CBSE and SSC boards. 

5. Rajhans Public School 

Pros - One of the largest and best school campuses I have seen in Mumbai

Cons - Admission needs to be secured in pre-primary itself. Admission forms are hardly available for Primary grades.

If you have been a part of these schools or you know other CBSE schools in the Western Suburbs of Mumbai which are not featured here, do drop a comment and let me know what you like about the school!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I’m the symbol of true love… or am I?

My story began in a Media College in India! A keen Media boy presented me to his snobbish classmate and proposed to her. She let down the proposal and flung me away in the air. I landed amidst crow shit! A little kid was walking past. He noticed me and thought I belonged here among stone flowers. He was naïve to know that the stone flowers were no match for me; as I had one thing that they didn’t… BREATH! A philosopher was heading towards a venue to give a seminar. He saw me lying among the stone flowers and thought that I should be dedicated to a great man’s commemoratory statue. So he picked me up and left me near this statue at the gate of his venue! Then the wind blew me away far and wide. Before I realized, I was lying on pebbles of stone. They were hard and they hurt my back. But nobody paid any heed to my suffering. A poor girl was on her way to visit her ailing friend in the nearby hospital. She thought she would present me to him and wish him speedy recovery. I sat there on t

Hush Little (Nursery Rhyme)

Photo Credit: www.teacherspayteachers We have all grown up learning our nursery rhymes like verses of the Bible, unquestioning about their implied meaning and subtle reinforcement of conservative social structures - like the role of each parent in the family and the family's primary provider aka the father.  "Hush, little baby, don't say a word. Papa's gonna buy you a mockingbird.  And if that mockingbird won't sing, Papa's gonna buy you a diamond ring." Notice how the baby is being soothed by promises of all the lovely things that 'papa' will buy for him/her.  While in most Indian families, it is mostly the mother who soothes a wailing child. Imagine the mother singing this to her baby, glorifying papa dearest and with nil reference to the mother who is painstakingly pacifying the child.  The next example is of the very famous and loved nursery rhyme - The Wheels on The Bus Go Round and Round. In this one, when the baby goes 'Wa Wa Wa', th