Skip to main content

My 2 year old's new TP - Instagram Animal-Face Filters

Simba and Nala Insta filter by The Lion King
Simba and Nala Insta filter by The Lion King

If you're having a hard time pacifying your toddler when s(he) is wailing or irritable, try this trick which I myself discovered only yesterday!

I was sitting idle with my mobile phone in my hand and my son was lurking around, picking up his toys which he had scattered across the floor. I started scrolling the Instagram feed and accidentally swiped left which opened up my front camera to record an Instagram story. Being a novice to Instagram stories myself, I started exploring the range of filters available on Insta. 

My son too got interested to explore this new feature along with me. And then we hit upon the eureka filter - Kitten by Instagram. This filter instantly put two little furry ears and a furry and frisky nose onto my face. Looking at this, my son was ecstatic! 

He's at a stage where the names of animals and their sounds are enough to get him excited and energized. He started screaming cat, cat.. I thought that this was a good change to engage and entertain my son, who was getting a little bored anyway. So I turned the camera to face him and there it was! My son transformed into a cute and adorable kitten. 

My son was so amused seeing himself turn into a cat. He started making faces and striking poses for the camera and the filter was spontaneous enough to quickly adapt and adjust to his moves and keep the kitten ears and nose in the correct place on his tiny face. I stuck my head inside the camera too and the pair of ears and little nose doubled - one on my son's face and the other on mine! I started liking this filter more and more. 

My curious father who was watching what was happening came inside the camera frame and there he was, instantly crowned with kitty ears and pasted with a cat nose. I thought my father wouldn't be too impressed. But he in fact, he let out a small giggle and posed along with his grandson as they both looked like cute cats in a frame! 


  
When I thought that we had played this game enough, I locked my phone and put it aside. My son threw a tantrum as he didn't want his game of playing kitty come to an end. Now I know the next time my son is bored or irritable, I can instantly transform his mood by letting him play cat using Instagram's 'Kitten' filter. 

There are many other animal-face filters available on Instagram, which you can browse and save. Some of them are Simba and Nala (by thelionking), happy dog, llama face, bulldog filter, etc. But I liked Instagram's kitten filter the best. 

Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments section below...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

School Hunting - Finding A Good CBSE School In Mumbai

It's that time of my life, when the tables have turned for me. A few years ago my parents would be hunting for good colleges and speaking to the Principals to assess if the institute was a good fit. Now, with my little one getting ready for formal schooling, it's my turn to hop around town looking for a good and reputed school for my son to study in! While Mumbai is flooded with schools, a vast majority of them offer the state education curriculum i.e. Secondary School Certificate. This board of education is governed by the state of Maharashtra and is also the board from which I completed my own schooling.  Since my graduation from school, many rules have changed in the SSC board and the curriculum too always had a reputation of being 'easier' compared to the other two prominent education boards - ICSE and CBSE.  ICSE schools were by far the most popular schools in Mumbai. However, they were also slightly premium and intellectual for the ordinary student. CBSE schools,

I’m the symbol of true love… or am I?

My story began in a Media College in India! A keen Media boy presented me to his snobbish classmate and proposed to her. She let down the proposal and flung me away in the air. I landed amidst crow shit! A little kid was walking past. He noticed me and thought I belonged here among stone flowers. He was naïve to know that the stone flowers were no match for me; as I had one thing that they didn’t… BREATH! A philosopher was heading towards a venue to give a seminar. He saw me lying among the stone flowers and thought that I should be dedicated to a great man’s commemoratory statue. So he picked me up and left me near this statue at the gate of his venue! Then the wind blew me away far and wide. Before I realized, I was lying on pebbles of stone. They were hard and they hurt my back. But nobody paid any heed to my suffering. A poor girl was on her way to visit her ailing friend in the nearby hospital. She thought she would present me to him and wish him speedy recovery. I sat there on t

Hush Little (Nursery Rhyme)

Photo Credit: www.teacherspayteachers We have all grown up learning our nursery rhymes like verses of the Bible, unquestioning about their implied meaning and subtle reinforcement of conservative social structures - like the role of each parent in the family and the family's primary provider aka the father.  "Hush, little baby, don't say a word. Papa's gonna buy you a mockingbird.  And if that mockingbird won't sing, Papa's gonna buy you a diamond ring." Notice how the baby is being soothed by promises of all the lovely things that 'papa' will buy for him/her.  While in most Indian families, it is mostly the mother who soothes a wailing child. Imagine the mother singing this to her baby, glorifying papa dearest and with nil reference to the mother who is painstakingly pacifying the child.  The next example is of the very famous and loved nursery rhyme - The Wheels on The Bus Go Round and Round. In this one, when the baby goes 'Wa Wa Wa', th