Skip to main content

Bernbach on Journalism


                                                                                                                        July 21, 2012  
Dear _________:


Professional training in Journalism is getting Big. That’s something to be happy about. But it’s something to worry about, too, and I don’t mind telling you I’m damned worried. I’m worried that we’re going to fall into the trap of bigness, that we’re going to worship structures instead of substance, that we’re going to dwell in history instead of making it, that we’re going to be drowned by responsibilities instead of buoyed up by recognition. I’m worried lest hardening of creative experimentations begin to set in.

There are a lot of great structure-abiding writers in journalism. And unfortunately they talk the best game. They know all the RULES. They can tell you that greater readership will give you more advertisements. They can tell you that a sentence should be this short or that long. They can tell you that story should be broken up for easier reading. They can give you fact after fact after FACT. They are the scientists of journalism. But there’s one little rub. Journalism is fundamentally about good writing and writing happens to be not a science, but an ART.     

It’s that creative spark that I’m so jealous of for our coursework and that I’m so desperately fearful of losing. I don’t want Academicians. I don’t want Scientists. I don’t want people who do the Right things. I don’t want people who do Inspiring things.

Look beneath structure and what do you find? A sameness, a mental weariness, a mediocrity of ideas and substance. But they could defend every article on the basis that it obeyed the rules of journalism. It is like worshipping a ritual instead of the God.

All this is not to say that structure is unimportant. Superior structural writing will make a good journalist better. But the danger is a preoccupation with structure or the mistaking of report structure for creative reportage.

The danger lies in the temptation to create routinized journalists who have a FORMULA for writing. The danger lies in the natural tendency to go after the Tried-and-Tested route to success, that will not make us stand out in competition but rather make us look like all the others.

If we, as journalists, are to advance we must emerge as a distinctive personality. We must develop our own philosophy (like the founding fathers of journalism) and not have the journalistic philosophy of others imposed on us.

Let us blaze new trails. Let us prove to the world that good ideas, good style and good writing can be good journalism.

Respectfully,
Bill Burn Back!
(PS: This is a Creative Variation of what was written originally by Bill Bernbach in the context of Advertising.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

School Hunting - Finding A Good CBSE School In Mumbai

It's that time of my life, when the tables have turned for me. A few years ago my parents would be hunting for good colleges and speaking to the Principals to assess if the institute was a good fit. Now, with my little one getting ready for formal schooling, it's my turn to hop around town looking for a good and reputed school for my son to study in! While Mumbai is flooded with schools, a vast majority of them offer the state education curriculum i.e. Secondary School Certificate. This board of education is governed by the state of Maharashtra and is also the board from which I completed my own schooling.  Since my graduation from school, many rules have changed in the SSC board and the curriculum too always had a reputation of being 'easier' compared to the other two prominent education boards - ICSE and CBSE.  ICSE schools were by far the most popular schools in Mumbai. However, they were also slightly premium and intellectual for the ordinary student. CBSE schools,

I’m the symbol of true love… or am I?

My story began in a Media College in India! A keen Media boy presented me to his snobbish classmate and proposed to her. She let down the proposal and flung me away in the air. I landed amidst crow shit! A little kid was walking past. He noticed me and thought I belonged here among stone flowers. He was naïve to know that the stone flowers were no match for me; as I had one thing that they didn’t… BREATH! A philosopher was heading towards a venue to give a seminar. He saw me lying among the stone flowers and thought that I should be dedicated to a great man’s commemoratory statue. So he picked me up and left me near this statue at the gate of his venue! Then the wind blew me away far and wide. Before I realized, I was lying on pebbles of stone. They were hard and they hurt my back. But nobody paid any heed to my suffering. A poor girl was on her way to visit her ailing friend in the nearby hospital. She thought she would present me to him and wish him speedy recovery. I sat there on t

Hush Little (Nursery Rhyme)

Photo Credit: www.teacherspayteachers We have all grown up learning our nursery rhymes like verses of the Bible, unquestioning about their implied meaning and subtle reinforcement of conservative social structures - like the role of each parent in the family and the family's primary provider aka the father.  "Hush, little baby, don't say a word. Papa's gonna buy you a mockingbird.  And if that mockingbird won't sing, Papa's gonna buy you a diamond ring." Notice how the baby is being soothed by promises of all the lovely things that 'papa' will buy for him/her.  While in most Indian families, it is mostly the mother who soothes a wailing child. Imagine the mother singing this to her baby, glorifying papa dearest and with nil reference to the mother who is painstakingly pacifying the child.  The next example is of the very famous and loved nursery rhyme - The Wheels on The Bus Go Round and Round. In this one, when the baby goes 'Wa Wa Wa', th