Skip to main content

Mumbai-Manager-Marketing

"Bees ka bolo, bees ka bolo. Hindi mein bees aur English mein twenty bolo."
This is a rather humourous one-sided conversation one hears in the Mumbai local trains.

Vendors of all sorts ply the compartments of these trains which run from the city's southern end to its northern end. One is met with vendors selling tooth whitening powder, colouring books, mobile scratch-guards, train schedules, cosmetics, accessories.... the list goes on. Interestingly, people buy unassuming things from these vendors. Let me cite a few examples; night gowns, table cloth and fruits!!!!

While travelling back home after college, I was looking out of the window (Mumbaikars prefer a "window seat" because it allows the window seat holder to enjoy fresh... ummm, possibly polluted breeze on warm days) at the familiar route I would pass everyday. Lost in some random thoughts, I hardly took notice of the two vendors who entered our compartment to tap willing customers and force them into impulse buying.

Male voices engaged in some argument, stimulated my auditory senses and pulled me out of my fantasy land. My face immediately turned to the vendors. I don't know the reason that triggered the rift but I paid careful attention to all that followed.

Vendor 'y' (BIO: Tall and Lean, seller of mobile scratch-guards) alleged that vendor 'x' was lying. Vendor x (BIO: average height and bald, seller of table cloth) retaliated and said he wasn't some one who would lie. The argument came to a halt, but vendor x had, till then, taken offensive.

Vendor x said to all his 'prospective clients' that his products were superior whereas that of the other were Bhangaar (Useless).

I don't know if it was the promise of superior products, the attention-catching slogans or simply the argument and its spicy consequence; but I noticed that many women who earlier didn't bother about their presence, started buying from both of the sellers.

This incident left a smile on my face; honestly, not because I felt happy for the sales of both vendors, but because I was around to enjoy FREE Entertainment. (you need to trust me on this, Mumbaikars- rather All Indians- just love to have everything that is free... even if it is receiving a FREE bashing from a childhood buddy over a complete non-issue).

On second thoughts however, I think that the argument was pre-planned and rigged to get the desired attention from the Target Audience. It was a conspiracy on part of both those vendors to increase sales; Mutual benefit you know! They were both 'hand in glove'.

From these vendors I learned a new marketing strategy i.e., create the brawl, involve the public and sell the product.

You see, it's not very surprising after all to learn from these Train vendors. They are the Gurus of Marketing and Sales because they sell their goods to Mumbaikars, day-in and day-out.

Next we know, the top B-schools of the world will invite train vendors to conduct managerial seminars; thus breaking the record of Lalu Prasad Yadav who conducted a similar seminar earlier.

Comments

  1. I am so very happy to read all your blog posts. Your writing style is very much like my late father Prof. Haji Siraj Ebrahim Biviji (M.A.) who was a famous journalist of our metropolis.

    I wish you Best of Luck for your chosen career in journalism.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

School Hunting - Finding A Good CBSE School In Mumbai

It's that time of my life, when the tables have turned for me. A few years ago my parents would be hunting for good colleges and speaking to the Principals to assess if the institute was a good fit. Now, with my little one getting ready for formal schooling, it's my turn to hop around town looking for a good and reputed school for my son to study in! While Mumbai is flooded with schools, a vast majority of them offer the state education curriculum i.e. Secondary School Certificate. This board of education is governed by the state of Maharashtra and is also the board from which I completed my own schooling.  Since my graduation from school, many rules have changed in the SSC board and the curriculum too always had a reputation of being 'easier' compared to the other two prominent education boards - ICSE and CBSE.  ICSE schools were by far the most popular schools in Mumbai. However, they were also slightly premium and intellectual for the ordinary student. CBSE schools,

I’m the symbol of true love… or am I?

My story began in a Media College in India! A keen Media boy presented me to his snobbish classmate and proposed to her. She let down the proposal and flung me away in the air. I landed amidst crow shit! A little kid was walking past. He noticed me and thought I belonged here among stone flowers. He was naïve to know that the stone flowers were no match for me; as I had one thing that they didn’t… BREATH! A philosopher was heading towards a venue to give a seminar. He saw me lying among the stone flowers and thought that I should be dedicated to a great man’s commemoratory statue. So he picked me up and left me near this statue at the gate of his venue! Then the wind blew me away far and wide. Before I realized, I was lying on pebbles of stone. They were hard and they hurt my back. But nobody paid any heed to my suffering. A poor girl was on her way to visit her ailing friend in the nearby hospital. She thought she would present me to him and wish him speedy recovery. I sat there on t

Hush Little (Nursery Rhyme)

Photo Credit: www.teacherspayteachers We have all grown up learning our nursery rhymes like verses of the Bible, unquestioning about their implied meaning and subtle reinforcement of conservative social structures - like the role of each parent in the family and the family's primary provider aka the father.  "Hush, little baby, don't say a word. Papa's gonna buy you a mockingbird.  And if that mockingbird won't sing, Papa's gonna buy you a diamond ring." Notice how the baby is being soothed by promises of all the lovely things that 'papa' will buy for him/her.  While in most Indian families, it is mostly the mother who soothes a wailing child. Imagine the mother singing this to her baby, glorifying papa dearest and with nil reference to the mother who is painstakingly pacifying the child.  The next example is of the very famous and loved nursery rhyme - The Wheels on The Bus Go Round and Round. In this one, when the baby goes 'Wa Wa Wa', th