Skip to main content

Blogs- an alternative media

Can blogs become an alternative media? I say yes.
Blogging has opened up a new platform for people of all ages to voice their opinions, be it radical or neutral. It provides the writer with a large audience who can be critical at many times and point out flaws of any nature in the write-up.

Writers benefit the most through blogs, especially the public blogs. In many instances, a person is forced to appreciate the articles and overlook its loopholes due to personal and professional limitations. But when it comes to blogging, it introduces one to many varied points of view. It helps all the readers to obtain a panoramic view of the situation in question. This influences perceptions and beliefs.

With the introduction of blogs, people from non-media professions have started to take active interest in the current affairs and have begun to pen down their views. Their participation does not end here. These opinions are then made open for public support and criticism through blogs. At times, blog posts become topics of debate which help in weighing the accuracy of two differing ideas.

Agreed that blogs have led to a revolution in participation of the masses in opinion formation, but how do they serve as a media device?

Media is a tool used not only to inform people about the current issues, but also to eliminate age-old prejudices and stereotypes. But it is not always possible for the print media and the broadcast media to challenge certain beliefs. When both these media fail to do so, blogs can play a vital role in confirming to this responsibility of the media.

People’s opinions are given due respect. This is proved by conducting public surveys and promoting the concept of citizen journalism. However, the scope of these is very limited. Blogs are open to one and all. Hence, it allows more public interaction.
It is now common to conduct public protests through social networking sites like facebook and twitter. But with the increase in the popularity of this new feature of blogs, it will not be far from now, when protests will originate and be ignited through blogs of common people.

We have heard of instances when the governments were forced to function against their will when popular public pressure was brought upon them. Blogs serve as a base where such pressure can be brought about and through which democracy will be applicable in its true sense.

Blogging is being taken up very seriously by Indians. Many topics which are raised through blogs compel us to give it a serious thought.

Our opinions are influenced and shaped through what we see, hear and read. If blogs succeed in giving an unbiased view of a number of issues, they will emerge as one of the dominant media of our country.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

School Hunting - Finding A Good CBSE School In Mumbai

It's that time of my life, when the tables have turned for me. A few years ago my parents would be hunting for good colleges and speaking to the Principals to assess if the institute was a good fit. Now, with my little one getting ready for formal schooling, it's my turn to hop around town looking for a good and reputed school for my son to study in! While Mumbai is flooded with schools, a vast majority of them offer the state education curriculum i.e. Secondary School Certificate. This board of education is governed by the state of Maharashtra and is also the board from which I completed my own schooling.  Since my graduation from school, many rules have changed in the SSC board and the curriculum too always had a reputation of being 'easier' compared to the other two prominent education boards - ICSE and CBSE.  ICSE schools were by far the most popular schools in Mumbai. However, they were also slightly premium and intellectual for the ordinary student. CBSE schools,

I’m the symbol of true love… or am I?

My story began in a Media College in India! A keen Media boy presented me to his snobbish classmate and proposed to her. She let down the proposal and flung me away in the air. I landed amidst crow shit! A little kid was walking past. He noticed me and thought I belonged here among stone flowers. He was naïve to know that the stone flowers were no match for me; as I had one thing that they didn’t… BREATH! A philosopher was heading towards a venue to give a seminar. He saw me lying among the stone flowers and thought that I should be dedicated to a great man’s commemoratory statue. So he picked me up and left me near this statue at the gate of his venue! Then the wind blew me away far and wide. Before I realized, I was lying on pebbles of stone. They were hard and they hurt my back. But nobody paid any heed to my suffering. A poor girl was on her way to visit her ailing friend in the nearby hospital. She thought she would present me to him and wish him speedy recovery. I sat there on t

Hush Little (Nursery Rhyme)

Photo Credit: www.teacherspayteachers We have all grown up learning our nursery rhymes like verses of the Bible, unquestioning about their implied meaning and subtle reinforcement of conservative social structures - like the role of each parent in the family and the family's primary provider aka the father.  "Hush, little baby, don't say a word. Papa's gonna buy you a mockingbird.  And if that mockingbird won't sing, Papa's gonna buy you a diamond ring." Notice how the baby is being soothed by promises of all the lovely things that 'papa' will buy for him/her.  While in most Indian families, it is mostly the mother who soothes a wailing child. Imagine the mother singing this to her baby, glorifying papa dearest and with nil reference to the mother who is painstakingly pacifying the child.  The next example is of the very famous and loved nursery rhyme - The Wheels on The Bus Go Round and Round. In this one, when the baby goes 'Wa Wa Wa', th